Established in 1899 and 2011 respectively, Rollestons Solicitors and McElwee Solicitors’ client base includes companies, owner-managed businesses, farmers, banks, as well as private clients. Both firms joined to become Rolleston McElwee Solicitors in late 2019. This merger represents further strategic growth.
At the time of the merger, Rolleston McElwee Solicitors' managing partner Eugene O'Connor stated as follows. Rolleston McElwee Solicitors is a dynamic, client-focused, forward-thinking firm concentrating on such areas as commercial and company law, property sales and purchases, litigation, landlord and tenant law, wills and administration of estates (probate), tax, liquor licensing, intellectual property, personal injuries, litigation and agricultural/farming law.
“This merger represents further strategic growth for the firm and will allow us support our clients with additional expertise and experience and enable us to expand into new areas of legal practice whilst also concentrating on our core values, most important of which is a commitment to providing high quality and commercially focused advice to our clients.”
Rolleston McElwee Solicitor’s Managing Partner
OUR LEGAL TEAM
The members of staff include Partners Eugene O’Connor, James McElwee and Associate Solicitor Deborah Holland, together with support staff, including Joan Dobson, Martyna Rekosiewicz, Catherine Brennan, Jurgita O’Reilly, Amanda Byrne and Catriona Heffernan.
Partner, Solicitor and Coroner
Eugene O’Connor is the Managing Partner of Rolleston McElwee Solicitors and previously was the Managing Partner of Rolleston Solicitors since 1992 until its merger with McElwee Law.
A solicitor and law graduate with 36 years post qualification experience, Eugene is experienced in all aspects of residential and commercial conveyancing, company law, transfer of undertakings and share sale and purchase transactions, equity and general litigation. He frequently acts on behalf of organisations with large and diverse property portfolios.
Eugenee holds a Diploma in Property Tax (Law Society of Ireland) and served on the Law Society Taxation Committee for many years – during which time he regularly provided tutoring on tax.
Eugene is also an experienced coroner, and as such he has made a significant contribution to the development of legislation in this area. He became Deputy Coroner for County Laois in 1991, becoming Laois’ Coroner in 1996. He is also currently the acting Coroner for Co. Carlow. He was President of the Coroner’s Society of Ireland for the two-year period 2016 – 2018, and chaired the Legal Sub-Committee of the Society. In that role, he sat on an informal Committee with the Department of Justice since 2008 dealing with issues from the Draft Coroner Bill 2007. As a result, he had direct involvement with the committee for the finalisation of the Coroners Amendment Act which was passed by the Oireachtas in 2019.
• Bachelor of Civil Law (Hons), University College Dublin, 1980. (NFQ Level 8)
• Diploma In Property Tax, Law Society of Ireland, 1992.
Relevant experience drawn from the last 3-5 years:
• Advised on the restructuring of a long established private company on consolidating its companies and subsidiaries and the related transfer of undertakings.
• Advising AIB Bank plc as part of its legal panel on securitising its loans to both the commercial and agricultural sector.
• Advised an insurance entity on its obligations under the Investment Intermediaries Acts, including advice on making a High Court application required to meet the requirements of the Central Bank.
Corporate Insolvency Law
• Advising on debt issues and also acting for other solicitors on the conduct of and charring credit meetings.
• Advised on a large co-ownership investment restructuring that included the acquisition of the loan obligations and refinancing of the investments with the objective to yield a better return and management of joint ventures.
Formation Of Bodies Corporate
• Have formed a large number of companies (both commercial and CLG companies) and also advise on share structuring etc. Provides advice on a pro bono basis for a number of community and voluntary organisations such as Laois Chamber of Commerce, Laois Partnership and several CLGs.
Corporate Governance and Directors’ duties
• Advise a number of companies on their corporate issues and also act as Company Secretary to a number of community company’s such as Laois Partnership, Laois Chamber of Commerce, Slieve Bloom Rural Development Society CLG, Laois Youth Services CLG in addition to several nationally prominent private companies such as Shaw & Sons Ltd, Laois Hire Limited, JL Bradshaw & Co Limited, and HSS Hire (UK).
Construction and Infrastructure projects
• Advises a specialist engineering form on energy and water energy project and contracts supplying power to industry and Eirgrid.
• Advised in relation to a windfarm project completed in 2019 to include the contract options and construction issues, site management agreements, post completion requirements and set up, and completing the landowners requirements on the site
Sale and acquisition of goods and services
• Advised a large retail company on credit sale issues and the requirements to have the provider registered with the Central Bank, and corresponding on the submission to the Central Bank.
PPPs including project finance
• Advised on a significant project in the Leinster area on provision of a primary care centre and engaging with the HSE processing requirement for the build and delivery of the project to include consideration of the finance aspects of the project
Other relevant experience:
Eugene has also advised and drafted numerous commercial contracts over the years, as well as providing support and advice in relation to competition law, corporate offences, outsourcing/contracting out of services, public procurement etc.
He advises on all aspect of agricultural law, land acquisitions and sale of significant farm holdings, including many of the most significant transactions in the Leinster area over the past 30 years (with values up to €25m) and all the related issues that arise with these transactions. Eugene has also advised extensively on the Department of Agriculture schemes, such as the Early Retirement Scheme, Farm Partnerships and also in relation to quota issues in relation to milk quota, beef and beet quota issues.
Partner, Solicitor and Notary Public
A solicitor and commerce graduate experienced in litigation, commercial property, licensing, intellectual property (IP), information technology (IT) and data protection. Flexible, personable and pragmatic with strong commercial acumen yielding effective and efficient representation across all legal fields. Excellent listening and negotiation skills.
• Acted in the acquisition of developments in Portarlington, Co Offaly on behalf of a developer.
• Acted in a property dispute between family members relating to undue influence, misrepresentation, proprietary estoppel and adverse possession.
• Acted on behalf of a client in respect of a property dispute in respect of proprietary estoppel.
• Acted on behalf of a large business in respect of the acquisition of a garage premises.
• Acted on behalf of a client in respect of the acquisition of a shopping centre.
• Acted on behalf of a client in relation to the acquisition and subsequent sale of industrial and commercial units around the country.
• Acted on behalf of various clients in relation to licensing applications, including off-licences.
• Acted on behalf of clients in relation to boundary rectification issues.
• Acted on behalf of clients in respect of EU and international trademark applications.
• Acted on behalf of clients in respect of auction sales of commercial property.
• Acquisitions and sales of pharmacy premises nationwide.
• Sale of pharmacy premises in Waterford.
• Lease of property to OPW in Portlaoise.
• Acted in one of the Country's largest examinerships (value in excess of €1.5 billion) by Vantive Holdings & Ors. (aka the Zoe Group).
• Advocated, negotiated and drafted relevant documentation for all jurisdictions and successfully defended / obtained judgments for high profile commercial clients on a weekly basis.
• Represented clients in all jurisdictions in civil litigation cases including specific performance, judicial review, IP, property disputes, debt collection, landlord and tenant, personal injuries and family law, licensing and road traffic offences on a monthly basis.
• Member of legal team involving a €1m High Court employment case which was successfully resolved.
Intellectual Property, Licensing, Commercial and Wills & Probate work
• Acted for the selling shareholders in share purchase of Bonavox Limited by Widex Ireland Limited for over €9.5m.
• Managed trademark applications and advised on IP and IT matters.
• Advised, prepared applications, represented in court and successfully obtained all forms of liquor and outdoor event licenses for the hospitality and entertainment industry.
• Prepared a considerable number of wills and administered probate work.
Commercial Property and Residential Property
• Prepared tender application and subsequently appointed to NAMA Advisory Panel and conducted due diligence reports on behalf of banks and NAMA.
• Acted on behalf of Keenbury Properties in acquisition of Tallaght Cross East from South Dublin County Council (SDCC) for around €10m and various leases back to SDCC.
• Advised and acted on behalf of leading developers and private individuals in landlord and tenant and conveyancing work including negotiations, drafting leases, assignments, banking, planning and compulsory purchase orders, licenses and related documentation.
• Lease of building to the Garda Ombudsman, Abbey Street, Dublin and other state bodies including HIQUA of George’s Street, North King Street, the HSE of Green Street, the National Cancer Screening Service Board of King’s Inn House, Parnell Street, Dublin 1, the Legal Aid Board of North Brunswick Street, Dublin, the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform of No. 25 Wolfe Tone Street, Dublin, National Education Welfare Board of North King Street, Dublin, Google of Barrow Street, Dublin.
• Successfully acted in several Commercial Court cases e.g. representing disabled miners against Boliden Tara Mines (pension benefits), a breach of contract claim against an Irish chain of pharmacies and for the insured in a €20m insurance policy dispute against Quinn Direct.
• Member of a team involved in numerous Supreme, High and Circuit Court litigation involving injunctions, landlord and tenant, trespass, breach of contract and IP.
• Advised and negotiated on behalf of clients in IP and IT matters including copyright, trademarks, data protection, domain name disputes and passing off.
• Advocated, advised and effectually negotiated in District Court and Circuit Court debt collection cases including debt collection and road traffic cases. Managed and represented clients in all liquor licensing work on a weekly basis.
Deborah Holland is a Graduate of University College Dublin where she earned her Bachelor of Business and Legal Studies Degree. Deborah trained and has been practising with Rollestons Solicitors now Rolleston McElwee Solicitors since 2004 and was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in Ireland in 2006.
Deborah is a member of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners– the professional body for trust and estate practitioners worldwide) and holds STEPS’s Diploma in Trust and Estate Planning issued from the Law Society of Ireland. She also became Deputy Coroner for County Laois in 2020.
Deborah offers clients an extensive knowledge and expertise in all aspects of Residential and Commercial Conveyancing, drafting of Wills and Enduring Powers of Attorney, the Extraction of Grants of Probate and Administration of Estates and Personal Injury Actions.
Deborah is also a member of the Law Society of Ireland and the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association.
Joan is over 30 years with the firm and hasdone all types of legal work during this time and have experience in all areas with a qualification Secretarial College Certificate in 1980.
Before joining Rollestons Joan worked with Peter Flanagan Solicitor, DG O’Donovan Solicitors Limerick and the Legal Department of Limerick Corporation.
Jurgita O’Reilly has worked with McElwee Solicitors since 2019. She is currently in the process of acquiring a diploma with Accounting Technicians Ireland. She has over 14 years customer service experience and dealing with the public. She speaks multiple languages including Lithuanian and Russian
MODERN & EFFICIENT METHODS
Rolleston McElwee Solicitors are committed to delivering exceptional service to our clients and are a fully operational firm, both on site and remotely. We are client focused and aim to provide you with an efficient, friendly and affordable service.
Rolleston McElwee Solicitors and team have a vast amount of experience in respect of property matters, dealing both on behalf of and on the other side of state bodies. We have implemented policies in respect of Data Protection, practice management, confidentiality, GDPR and compliance with Solicitor’s accounts regulations, among other critical aspects of any client’s dealings.
Amongst work that has been carried out by the firm, includes:
- Acted in the acquisition of 39 Units at Riverside, Portarlington, Co Offaly on behalf of a developer.
- Acted in the acquisition of 38 Units at Corrig Glen, Portarlington, Co Laois on behalf of a large developer.
- Acted in a property dispute between family members relating to undue influence, misrepresentation, proprietary estoppel and adverse possession.
- Acted on behalf of a client in respect of a property dispute in respect of proprietary estoppel.
- Acted on behalf of a large business in respect of the acquisition of a garage in Portlaoise, Co Laois.
- Acted on behalf of a client in respect of the acquisition of a shopping centre in Stradbally, Co Laois.
- Acted on behalf of a client in relation to the acquisition and subsequent sale of industrial and commercial units around the country.
- Acted on behalf of various clients in relation to licensing applications, including off-licences.
- Acted on behalf of clients in relation to boundary rectification issues.
- Acted on behalf of clients in respect of EU and international trademark applications.
- Acted on behalf of clients in respect of auction sales of commercial property.
- Acquisition of pharmacy premises in Inchicore, Co Dublin.
- Sale of pharmacy premises in Waterford.
- Lease of property to OPW in Portlaoise.